Monday, October 12, 2009

..........................................CAMPING!

Jeff and I braved the cold wet weather this weekend and went camping at the Buffalo river!! We stayed at Steel Creek and hiked to Hemmed-In Hollow on Saturday. If you have never been there, let me just warn you the trail is STEEP and extremely STRENUOUS!!! It's 2.5 miles straight down and 2.5 miles straight back up...5 miles round trip. The falls are beautiful, but my knees hurt so stinkin bad by the time we got down there, I couldn't hardly enjoy the beauty. Man, did I feel old! But I'm so glad Jeff encouraged me to keep truckin, because it really was a great hike. It was cold this weekend, but Jeff packed plenty of firewood & kept us nice & warm. Hobos for dinner on Saturday = YUMMY!!!

Me before we hit the trail...(I had no idea what I was in for!)



This is the Hemmed-In falls. So pretty!! I think the tallest in Arkansas.






There were so many pretty waterfalls on this trail. The rain really had things gushing!!









VICTORY!!!! We made it!!!! Notice my hat & scarf? It was FREEZING!!!!




The river itself

Our campsite - gotta love those bluffs!




Cute little tree frog we found on the trail. It just amazes me how God masterfully designs things. You could not see this little guy unless he moved b/c he blended in perfectly with his surroundings.



Green tree snake (surprised he was out on such a chilly day)




ELK!!! The elk were very close to the fence this time, which was awesome! I didn't get too many pictures though, because my batteries died. But if you look closely in this picture, you can see 2 huge males in the background. They went head to head in a fight over the females and we got a front row seat!!! It was pretty cool to see. We didn't stay to the end to see who won though.







A spring roaring up from the ground

A crooked old cabin we passed while exploring the area


On our way home, we ate at the Jasper cafe - always a favorite!! Then we came home & crashed! Movie + Pizza = R&R!! So thankful for a great & safe weekend!!!

3 comments:

Clay and J said...

Looks like such a fun trip. The falls are beautiful! So much pretty scenery. And yummy food too :)
So I guess no one could help with the blog problem? But you were very clever with your title to make it work!

Townsend said...

you went hiking in Compton!? shoot, i hope jeff had his gat tucked into his belt. hope nobody tried to jump you... okay okay, LAME jokes! is this the place we went as a group once?? when With nearly blew up the campsite with his fire obsession?
jasper cafe...Mmmmm!

Chris and Rebecca Lee said...

i love yours and jeff's adventures. it reminds me of prekid days. ha! maybe when they get a bit older. :) great pics. looked like a blast!