Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Stuffed Peppers

We had a lot of green bell peppers turn ripe all at once in our garden, so I thought I would try making "stuffed peppers". I had never had a stuffed pepper & there are a TON of recipes online, but I thought this one looked really yummy and really simple. It turned out GREAT so I wanted to share it with ya'll! Let me know if you make it & like it :0)

STUFFED BELL PEPPERS
5 bell peppers
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 pkg. stuffing mix (any flavor, bread crumb or rice)
2 c. grated cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.



Cut off top of peppers and clean out centers. Fill a saucepan 1/2 full of water and bring to a boil. Place pepper in boiling water. Return to boiling, reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes (I would omit this step next time and just bake them. They get too soft by boiling first).
In a skillet brown 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef and drain.
In a saucepan prepare stuffing mix as directed on package. Combine prepared stuffing with ground beef; add 1 cup cheddar cheese and mix.
Remove peppers from water and drain. Place in a deep baking dish so that peppers stand on end. Fill peppers with ground beef, stuffing and cheese mixture. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Place in oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

Variation: Use 1 can tomato sauce and seasons with parsley and garlic salt instead of adding the cheddar cheese.







2 comments:

Clay and J said...

Looks yummy! Giada on Food Network had a variation of that with orzo, zucchini, and parmesan cheese. If I try it I'll let you know how it turns out. You can't go wrong with ground beef and cheddar though!

Townsend said...

stuffed peppers sound really good right now MMmmmm